Uh Oh - hard drive not being recognized....

Thread: Uh Oh - hard drive not being recognized....

Uh Oh - hard drive not being recognized....

Does anybody here know how to do data recovery, or can recommend an expert? My backup hard drive is no longer being recognized by my PC. I even took it out of the enclosure and hooked it directly to another PC. It worked for a while, but then couldn't be recognized again. It's not making any strange noises. Ideas?

Thanks,
    Troy

Current Paid Member
    d9's an it guy, ask him?
    Built 2v, 2005 aluminum wap block .020 over, forged crank, manley rods and pistons, balanced, trickflow 44cc heads, MHS 2v tf cams. bassani x pipe, magnaflow catback, bullitt intake, JLT ram air intake. fully studded. 268hp 286tq at 4700-just flatlines after that to 6500 due to stock exhaust manifolds. all through a 4R70W

I think you got answers on facebook. The freezer trick might work but otherwise you're looking at Kroll Ontrack or another recovery place. Usually they are a couple of hundred bucks too...

The freezer trick seems weird. Won't moisture damage the drive once it starts heating up? I guess I could try it..

It helps in some cases but the moisture doesn't get inside the sealed case I don't think and if it does, that's why you get one shot at it.

Is the drive making noise?

Freezer for 3 hours, and I was able to get the drive through a long process of checkdisk, and now seems to be all good. Drive never made any strange noises.

Back it up, and don't trust it IMO... Do you have S.M.A.R.T enabled in the BIOS? That will help to alert you if a failure is on the way..