My F250 spit a spark plug

Thread: My F250 spit a spark plug

My F250 spit a spark plug

It happened once before and I was able to screw it back in and replace the coil. Will I be that lucky this time? There could possibly be some "fun" times in the near future with 'ol Blue. YAY! That is all...
    Randy

Current Paid Member
    time to install a time sert. they can be done in the vehicle.
    Built 2v, 2005 aluminum wap block .020 over, forged crank, manley rods and pistons, balanced, trickflow 44cc heads, MHS 2v tf cams. bassani x pipe, magnaflow catback, bullitt intake, JLT ram air intake. fully studded. 268hp 286tq at 4700-just flatlines after that to 6500 due to stock exhaust manifolds. all through a 4R70W

I've heard that this is a common problem with only a certain couple of cylinders. All of them aren't susceptible to this?
    Is a big sert only used for previously heli-coiled holes, and a time sert for holes that weren't?
    Randy

Current Paid Member
    all are susceptible to it, dont use heli coils, needs to be time-sert specific repair.
    Built 2v, 2005 aluminum wap block .020 over, forged crank, manley rods and pistons, balanced, trickflow 44cc heads, MHS 2v tf cams. bassani x pipe, magnaflow catback, bullitt intake, JLT ram air intake. fully studded. 268hp 286tq at 4700-just flatlines after that to 6500 due to stock exhaust manifolds. all through a 4R70W

Registered Users
    All cylinders are susceptible to it but according to the tech I spoke to numbers 2 and 3 are the most common points of failure.

Good luck Randy.

Thanks Brett and Steve. I drove it the 2 miles to get it home. I was getting some pretty good looks with it sounding like a tractor!
    What is the difference between a big sert and a time sert?
    Randy

Current Paid Member
    big sert is made by timesert, its used to repair holes that have already had a heli coil failure, you need to start with a timesert for a 4.6, 5.4, 6.8 liter v8 or v10 2v engine. you shouldnt need a big sert unless that hole has already been repaired with something else and failed.

F250 is all better.
    Randy

Current Paid Member
    have any issues making the repair?

No, it actually went rather smooth. I couldn't feel what the reamer was doing so I kept taking it out to check if it made it all the way.
    Randy